The Story Of Villa Canestrari Began In 1888
when Carlo Bonuzzi, the paterfamilias and owner of a large number of vineyards in the Illasi Valley, graduated from the Royal School of Winemaking at Conegliano Veneto, contributing to the evolution of an activity in which his family was already involved. It was he who began bottling and selling the wines that the family produced, as can be seen from some of the labels displayed in our wine museum.
A Long-Standing Tradition
This long-standing tradition was already in its third generation when, with the fusion of the Bonuzzi and Franchi families – both with more than 120 years’ history in the world of wine production – “Villa Canestrari” was created in the 1990s, becoming the trademark that encapsulated the new philosophy of the company, encompassing the typical characteristics of the local terroir, tradition and quality. Today, the fourth generation carries on the hard work of our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents in a precise, environmentally-aware manner, preserving the passion for quality that has always characterized the family for over a century.
One hundred and twenty-five years of tradition are an important legacy: a wealth of expertise, anecdotes and values that we seek to maintain and make known through our wines.
Our vineyards are situated both in the zone for Valpolicella and in that of Soave, allowing us to produce both types of wine. Our sites, thanks to their different microclimates, yield grapes that highlight the typical characteristics of their particular places of origin.
To some extent, these two very different zones complement one another in our way of conceiving wine: it is a gift that the land offers us, as well as a chance to provide emotions and an opportunity to preserve and pass on our passion for our area and our constant quest for quality.